Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Brief History & How to...

The main focus of my work as an art dealer is to make money. Originally, that was the only reason I was involved in art. My previous job in the city, which I retired from extremely early in life, left me enough money to throw at "risky" works. A combination of good fortune and yet more good fortune meant that, although I didn't know it, I had invested in some of the most valuable art created in the 20th century.

Just a few years on, I sold the artwork, took my small fortune and planned to move on. However, one day I saw a piece of art that totally and completely changed my life. I indulged in it for it was the most glorious combination of colour, texture and shape that I had ever seen. Although I still have the piece in my personal collection, that spend encouraged me to start dealing again. This time while enjoying the art.

Fifteen years later, I'm still going strong! Art is my work, my passion and my life. I couldn't live without it. Although I buy some of the ugliest paintings of all time to trade, this blog is dedicated to beautiful art.

I'm often questioned on "how to become an art dealer" and so here's a little guide for those of you who really don't know where to start. I'll elaborate on this in time.
  • In all honesty I advise contacting any of the artists I feature on this blog about their work. Everyone who has an post dedicated to them on here will be affordable, profitable and low risk.
  • Due to the current economic environment, I understand that £500 - £1000 may seem like a lot to spend on a first art purchase. However, the art on this blog is almost guaranteed to rise in value - you're money could be safer in art than in your bank!
  • Trust your gut! If you don't like the art but know it has "something special", go for it! Your instinct is there for a reason, use it!
  • Don't worry if when buying your first piece you feel almost sick with nerves or slightly dirty that you've spent hard earned cash on a "bit of paint".
  • If in doubt, email me! I've become a slight expert in dealing art and am always happy to help anyone try and reach their goals! My email is: deweywinters@googlemail.com
Peace & Love,
Dewey
Above: One of Hirst's Dot Paintings - A Waste of Space or a Wonderful Investment Opportunity?

2 comments:

  1. Even with the financial crisis
    'still a good deal invest in art?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, sorry for the late reply!

    Yes, investing in art is a very good idea. Putting money under your bed, in a bank or in a bond is, although it seems strange, hugely risky at the moment. This is because EVERYONE has money.

    However, only some people have art. This means that although values can fluctuate, they won't drop massive amounts because their is less gross investment. Also, most artists sell at quite stable prices. A good, jobbing artist will probably turnover the same during a financial crisis as during a financial upturn.

    My email is: deweywinters@googlemail.com. Email me if you have any further questions, or want me to put you in touch with some safe and reliable artists.

    Thanks for the comment, Dewey :)

    ReplyDelete